USEFUL BOOKS FOR NJ
"The Ones We Use Most Often"
There are many other books available; this is just a list of the ones we use most often. Below is a quick summary list of the books highlighted later. Most of the newer books have been reviewed in the club newsletter NJMA News.
- Mushrooms of the Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada, by Timothy J. Baroni, Published by Timber Press, 2017
- Mushrooms of Northeast North America: Midwest to New England, by George Barron, Published by Lone Pine, 1999
- Mushrooms of Northeastern North America, by Alan F. Bessette, Arleen R. Bessette and David R. Fischer, Published by Syracuse University Press, 1997
- Mushrooms and Other Fungi of North America, by Roger Phillips, Published by Firefly Books;, 2010
- Mushrooms of the Southeast, by Todd F. Elliot and Stephen L. Stephenson, Published by Timber Press, 2018
- Mushrooms of North America, by Roger Phillips, Published by Little Brown & Co, 1991
- Mushrooms of West Virginia and the Central Appalachians, by William C. Roody, Published by University Press of Kentucky, 2003
- National Audubon Field Guide to North American Mushrooms, by Gary Lincoff, Published by Knopf, 1981
- Amanitas of North America, by Britt A. Bunyard and Jay Justice, Published by FUNGI Press, 2020
- Ascomycete Fungi of North America:, by Michael Beug, Alan E. Bessette and Arleen R. Bessette, Published by University of Texas Press, 2014
- Boletes of Eastern North America, by Alan E. Bessette, William C. Roody, and Arleen R. Bessette, Published by Syracuse University Press, 2017
- Milk Mushrooms of North America, by Alan E. Bessette, David E. Harris and Arleen R. Bessette, Published by Syracuse University Press; 2009
- Polypores and Similar Fungi of Eastern and Central North America, by Alan E. Bessette, Dianna Smith, and Arleen R. Bessette, Published by University of Chicago Press, 2021
- Tricholomas of North America, by Alan E. Bessette, Arleen R. Bessette, William C. Roody , and Steven A. Trudell. Published by University of Texas Press, 2013
- Waxcap Mushrooms of Eastern North America, by Alan E. Bessette, William C. Roody, Walter E. Sturgeon, and Arlene R. Bessette. Published by Syracuse University Press, 2012.
BOOKS USEFUL FOR CRUSTS AND RESUPINATES
- Corticicaceae s.l. Fungi Europaei 12, by A. Bernicchia and S.P. Gorjon, Published by Candusso Edizioni, 2010
- Fungi of Switzerland 2: Aphyllophorales (non-gilled fungi), by J. Breitenbach, Published by Mykologia, 1986
- The Corticiaceae of North Europe (8 Volumes), by Kurt Hjorstmam and et al. , Published by Fungiflora, 1973, (Available as pdfs on mycoweb)
- Fungi of Temperate Europe (2 Volumes), by T. Lassoe and J.H. Peterson, Published by Princeton University Press, 2019 (See review in NJMA News 50-3)
A Good First Choice
My favorite is Barron’s Mushrooms of North America. This guide covers a wider variety of species than most guidebooks: lots of ascomycetes, slime molds, and bracket fungi. I like the feature of keys by spore color for gilled mushrooms, and the quick guide on the back cover. I own two copies: a copy stained with mushroomgoo for my basket, and a “clean” copy for the house.